Monday, December 8, 2014

Rustic 3 Leg Stool

When talking with a friend of mine at work, he mentioned he was looking for a small nightstand made out of wood.  He said he went to a few stores and did not find anything in his price range or anything he liked.  I asked him if he would want me to build something.  Well after a week or so the project turned from a fine wood piece into making something very rustic.  I came across some free logs at a local tree farm that were set out for firewood.  I walked the shores of the Delaware river and collected some interesting driftwood.  The only requirement I had was a height of around 18".  This is what I came up with.  The legs have 1.25" round tenons that fit into holes drilled at a 10 degree angle.  I drilled out the tenon hole in the top of the legs with a 1.125" hole saw.  I turned the tenon dowel on my drill lathe and glued them into the legs. The tenons are just friction fit into the holes in the log top. Not sure what will happen when the wood dries.  It may wind up with some splits but my friend does not mind.  This is the first time I have worked with wood in this way.  I was lucky to find a nice long piece of driftwood where I could get all three legs from the same piece.

No comments: