Thursday, February 26, 2009

Natoma Skiff - 15' Rowboat



I also have built several boats over the years. I started around 1986, when I attended a 1 week boatbuilding course at the Center for Wooden Boats in Seattle. The class was taught by Simon Watts. We built a traditional cedar lapstrake planked rowing scull joined with copper rivets and included steam bent ribs. When I returned home, I only built glued lapstrake boats and 1 cedar strip boat. I would love to someday build an Adirondack Guideboat, but before I do, I have to start using the boat I have more to justify that. I have to admit, sometimes it is more fun to build than to use. I have more detailed pictures of the building of a Natoma Skiff at Flickr.

This 15' boat is a very fast boat at about 74 lbs. Last October, I rowed with a friend of mine who has a Steve Kaulback 15' Kevlar Adirondack Guideboat, which is also about 70 lbs., but I could not keep up with him. I think the kevlar guideboat built by Steve Kaulback is the nicest and fastest non-scull rowing craft around.
I would love to get one someday. They are about $3800 though.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi David, Rather a lovely slippery looking hull. Where can I get the plans for it from please? Nigel