Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Planted First Tomato in Garbage Pit







Yesterday I planted our first tomato plant. It is a Selke cherry variety that I purchased from Highland Star Seed. I started it from seed on 3/7/09. I found out about this tomato in the "grow a tomato from garbage" video on YouTube. Well, not really garbage, just any organic kitchen scraps, horse manure, grass clippings, weeds, compost, leaves, etc. The instructions say it does not have to be fully composted either, just dump it all in as is. My son and I dug a hole according to the instructions. The hole is 2 feet deep, 3 feet wide and the pile is over 2 feet high. This plant is supposed to yield thousands of tomatoes. Well see. I am doing it as an experiment because I was so intrigued by the idea. It seemed legitimate. I will document here and we can all find out if I can have similar success. The website for the seeds and instructions is McKean County Biodynamics.

No comments: